- Our Strategy
- Get Involved
- About Us
Sustainable Business Ventures
We engage in new business ventures that foster social and environmental sustainability.
After having coached so many others in the game of moving strategically towards sustainability over the years, we have decided it’s time for us to step onto the field ourselves. Business ventures can generate profit by contributing to the emergence of a thriving, sustainable society—particularly when they are designed that way from the start. The Natural Step sees multiple benefits in doing just this.
- Impact: The primary objective is impact towards our mission. Business is simply another means we can use to arrive at the end we desire. In this way, we work towards our goal from multiple angles, with multiple approaches.
- Showing the World It Works: With every business venture that succeeds, we will have created a prototype, a proof of concept from which others working to build a thriving, sustainable society through business (social entrepreneurs) can learn.
- Learning Feeds Back Into Our Other Impact Strategies: By ‘playing the game’ ourselves, we discover first-hand which gaps are most critical on the road to creating sustainable businesses, gaining a greater depth of knowledge to complement what we are continually learning from The Natural Step’s advisory clients. This knowledge can feed directly into our other strategic approaches to impacting our mission.
- Sustainable Revenue Generation: In addition to providing a return for our Future Factory investors, the activities of Future Factory will be designed to generate revenues to support the programs of The Natural Step, helping us become financially sustainable while remaining focused on impact towards our mission.
- Opening Doors to Emerging Countries: The activities of our sustainable business ventures (particularly the TNS Business Incubator) represent potential avenues for the planned entry of The Natural Step into developing countries.
- TNS Business Incubator
- TNS Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) Tools (hyperlink to project proposal pdf)
- TNS Games (hyperlink to project proposal pdf)